Friday, January 13, 2012

#3

Okay, so in reviewing my list, I can safely cross off the following:

#3 - volunteer in children's ministries on a regular basis.  I have been teaching Sunday School every/other week for almost 3 years.  That counts, I think! 
This fall, I also volunteered to help be the "CRAFT LADY" in AWANA Cubbies!  So Far, So Good.  If it wasn't for Melody Biggar planning, preparing & organizing the crafts each week, I KNOW the crafts would be "Fruit Loop Necklaces" or "Color on this piece of paper" every week.  Who Knows, maybe I'd throw in a "Cheerio Bracelet".

I have REALLY enjoyed this time.  The sunday school class is the pre-school (4 Year Olds)/Kindergarten age.    This is such a weird and fantastic age.  They come in at 4 years old.  Either newly 4 (Summer babies) or "almost" 5, just not yet in Kindergarten.  The range of emotional & social maturity is amazing in this age group. BUT - despite what you are thinking, it isn't necessarily due to their age! Some of the "Just 4" are very competitive with the "Almost 6" year olds! Some of the 6 year olds... Well, I pray for my attitude some weeks.
Cubbies is mostly the same kids I have in Sunday School, plus a group that is just one step younger. I think they are supposed to be 4 when they start Cubbies.  Some kids turn in September/October and they were allowed in.
This has made me think about Hannah's situation.  Her birthday is September 15.  The district cut off for Kindergarten is September 1.  They are pretty strict about it, too (i.e. no early enrollment).  So, I just go with her starting Kindergarten in September 2012.  However, when I am with these kids who are 4 right now, and will be 5 years old by September 1... I think "They are SUCH little babies!"  How is my fiercely independent, bold & outgoing daughter with an amazingly strong personality going to fit in with these kids who still (literally!) hide behind their mom's legs?  Of course... maybe they only hide behind their moms when Hannah is RUNNING full force toward them to give them one of her super-dooper-world class hugs... (the kind where everyone ends up on the ground with Hannah on top). ;)
I know, someone has to be the oldest in every class and someone has to be the youngest.  Someone the tallest, someone the shortest.  I also know "Size-Wise" her peers will catch up eventually.  Hayley is no longer the tallest in her class and she was ALWAYS 97+%tile for height.
I was one of the youngest in my class AND I was the biggest. I survived (barely). At least Hannah can say "I AM a year older than you..." when she pushes them down for being mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment